Homemade Apple Pie
Gluten, Diary, Soy Free
The holiday season is here and guess what comes with that? FOOD!! Unfortunately, for many people the holidays means heavy casseroles, dinner roles, chocolates, and PIE! While there is a time and place for everything, you don’t have to always sacrifice your health to still have a tasty treat! That is why this month we are making APPLE PIE!!
For the Pie:
- 1 Gluten Free Crust
- 7 Cups Granny Smith Apple Slices (Around 6-7 Cups. Peeled)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Dried Apples
- 2 Tbsp. Tapioca Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Pinch of Sea Salt
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp. Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
Make the Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked and cooled pie shell.
- Use a spatula to spread it into an even layer. Set aside.
Make the Crumb Topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, coconut flour, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and maple syrup.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Use a spoon or I found it easier to just use your hands to drop dollops of crumble all over the top of the pie. Try to cover all of the apples evenly.
- Optional: Whisk together an egg and 1 Tbsp. of almond milk to create an egg wash. Brush the edges of the crust to produce a golden brown crust. This will also make the crust slightly crispier!
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Then loosely cover the edges of the crust with tinfoil and bake for another 30 minutes or so, until the top is golden.
- Let cool and then…. ENJOY!!!